King Saud Medical City was established during the era of King Saud Bin Abdul Aziz in 8/4/ 1376 H (November 11, 1956) that sits on 12 hectares of the land area situated in Al Shumeisy, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It was first named as King Saud the First Hospital, a revolutionary idea from a visionary man. Later on, it became Riyadh Central Hospital, then Riyadh Medical Complex. In November 2010, the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz, issued directives of approval to change the name of King Saud Medical Complex to King Saud Medical City (KSMC). However, King Saud Medical City is still affectionately known as "Shumaisy Hospital".